Monday, June 30, 2008

For Joe





In August we'll pick wild blackberries. The bushes will be loaded with berries by then. They grow thick and dense on both sides of the trail. Some folks bring ladders so they can reach the biggest and ripest and juiciest at the top.


A pail full is enough for a pie, and two or three pails full for jam. But be warned ... my limit is one or two handsful

The berries on the outside of the bushes, the ones that are within easy reach, have all been picked off. The thorns are treacherous. Scratches and curses will follow, and I get really cranky.

2 comments:

herhimnbryn said...

Long sleeves and a walking stick with a 'crook' handle:)

Thankyou for this, it has taken me winging back to my childhood.

Kay said...

I'm having such fun with your blog that I'm going to add you to my sidebar.