Sunday, February 01, 2009

Spam


I learned to love Spam when I was living in Hawaii. David and I would walk down the 10th Avenue hill, past the orchid nursery, past the pool and the school to have a meal of Spam Musubi at Rainbow Market. We sat outside at the beat-up old picnic table and drank ice tea while waiting for our orders.



Hawaii holds the honor of being the Spam capital of the United States. During World War II, Spam became a staple in the diets of troops overseas and in the war-torn countries such as England and islands such as Hawaii that had trouble getting fresh meat. Hawaiians continued to consume Spam following the war. It is Hawaii's soul food.

Sadly, I can't eat Spam now because of the high sodium content, but I long for it each time I pass by those shelves in the market.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Hi Janice! I'm just stopped by to visit. What fun! There is low sodium Spam now, you know?
:-)