Friday, May 15, 2009

Zoomers




Zoomers is a magazine published by CARP - Canadian Association of Retired People. It comes to me each month as part of my membership.

I always look forward to the quotations that are scattered throughout. Some make me smile, and other are thought provoking.

My grandmother started walking fives miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 now, and we don't know where the hell she is - Ellen DeGeneres

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art - Eleanor Roosevelt

Age is the acceptance of a term of years, but maturity is the glory of the years - Martha Graham

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools - Doug Larson

Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either - Marshall McLuhan

When I was 40, my doctor advised me that a man in his 40s shouldn't play tennis. I heeded his advice carefully and could hardly wait until I reached 50 to start again - Hugo L. Black

Old age ain't no place for sissies - Bette Davis

When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age - Victor Hugo

The other day a man asked me what I thought was the best time of life. 'Why', I answered without a thought, 'now'. - David Grayson

The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been - Madeleine L'Engle

Coming together is the beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success - Henry Ford

Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read - Sir Francis Bacon

I could not, at any age, be content to take my place in a corner by the fireside and simply look on - Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

Kay said...

I'm sitting here with a broken foot which the doctor says will take longer than 6 weeks to heal because of my osteopenia and I have to smile at Bette Davis' comment about Old age not being for sissies. All these comments are great! Thank you for sharing.